(630) 655-0644

Dangers of Creosote in your Chimney


We put in a lot of effort to keep our homes safe. If there are toddlers in the home, parents can install child-proof gates in front of stairs, fridge door lockers, and plastic plug-in covers over sockets. Everyone is aware that ant poison should be kept out of the way when preparing food. Loose moves are easily repaired, and mold is quickly eradicated. Unfortunately, there is a secret hazard in your chimney that isn’t readily noticed or washed. That’s why it’s important to have a specialist check the chimney once a year, patch any required problems, and vacuum it out before the next burning season begins. With the arrival of colder weather, it’s time to contact Chicago Fireplace Inc Chimney Masonry to Repair and have our trained, CSIA-certified workers inspect your chimney to ensure that it’s clean and in good working order, protecting your family’s health and safety.

What’s the matter?

When we check your chimney, we’ll look for any repairs to ensure that all of the parts of your chimney and fireplace are functioning properly. Creosote build-up is one of the biggest things we’ll be looking for. If you’ve detected a foul odor coming from your chimney, particularly on hot, humid days when the warm air blows in, you most likely have an excess of creosote in your chimney. The fact that it stinks isn’t the main issue, however. Creosote is a hazardous material that can endanger your house and family, so it’s important to get rid of it before you use your fireplace again.

Smoke is generated when you use your fireplace. Even if you’ve gone to the trouble of making sure the wood has been dried for the recommended amount of time, there is secret moisture in the wood you’re burning. This rain, along with other potentially hazardous chemicals, is emitted as smoke, which rises up the chimney and into the open air. This is an excellent device because it removes smoke and other contaminants from your home. However, not all of the smoke dissipates. Any of it condenses on the cold interior of the chimney, resulting in a coating of creosote. As previously mentioned, this drug has a foul odor and is extremely flammable. If a spark catches in the chimney, even an eighth of an inch will start a burn. And if the fire goes unnoticed and flames out on its own, chimney destruction may have resulted, allowing contaminants to be reintroduced into the home instead of being directed out the chimney.
Contact the Experts
There’s always time to contact us if you’re concerned about creosote build-up in your chimney.